We often talk about how radicals have tainted the feminist movement. Most feminists aren’t willing to even admit that there’s a problem, but the few that do tend to ask a simple question: “how do we fix it?” This is for you guys.
Being completely, brutally honest, our opinion is that for the most part feminism has long since passed the point of no return: the problems are so deep in the movement that “salvaging” it would probably look more like “burning it to the ground and starting again”.
However, if we had to give suggestions, they would be this:
- Retake control of feminist academia. It’s one of the biggest reserves of bigotry, it’s been a sanctuary for radscum, and it’s creating much of the….academically suspect research that the bigots in the rest of the movement feed on, in addition to creating bigotry in people who aren’t themselves bigots, just ignorant of the facts. Commit yourselves to finding accurate information and getting accurate results, even if those contradict the things you believe.
- Revisit basically everything you think you know about how our society works. Most of what you guys (think you) know is the product of the aforementioned radicals. This includes about 90% of the statistics that most feminists “just know” are true. Rape, the wage gap, domestic violence, glass ceiling, you name it, there are serious problems with the existing research. Some things, like the “rule of thumb” and “Super Bowl Sunday” anecdotes are outright myths.
- Call out the radicals when you see them. When radscum hold a conference, or vent their bigotry in public, they do more damage to your movement than pretty much everyone else put together. Even most of the nastier MRAs do genuinely want equality, they just default to tactics similar to the earlier waves of feminism because the MRM is now where you guys were then. Radscum, not so much, and they taint everything you claim to stand for among the general public. A handful of nutballs managed to pull together almost a hundred people for a screaming, angry mob to protest Warren Farrell, one of the least objectionable guys in existence. Don’t tell me you can’t do better for people who are far, far worse than even the the worst lies regarding Dr. Farrell.
- Start cooperating with MRAs, and understand that they’re going to be pretty damn suspicious of you for something between “a while” and “forever”. Your movement has done horrible damage to the causes they’re fighting for, and that means you’ve got a hell of a stigma to work off. The biggest contribution you can make to this is the point above. MRAs will be a lot more willing to work with you if it feels like you’re working with them.
- Stop putting them in charge of large chunks of your movement. Look at the history of the leadership of NOW if you don’t believe me. It’s a problem.
Put these all together, and you’ve denied radfems their refuge in academia, rejected their research and “statistics” where inaccurate (that is, most of the time), stopped letting them walk around unopposed, worked with other people seeking equality to demonstrate your commitment to it (trust me, they won’t stick around for that), and denied them leadership positions pretty much anywhere. They won’t be able to keep claiming your support when every time they speak they have to do it over a chorus of “you don’t support us”, especially when they can no longer claim academic or organizational legitimacy and actually have to pay for their own expenses.
If you can genuinely say that you (or your feminist organization) works (and ideally succeeds) at all of these, we have no quarrel with you. We may think you’re idealistic, but you’re no longer part of the problem and may actually have the capacity to be part of the solution.